Friday, December 11, 2015

December 7, 2015

I know that we all have our weakness and struggles, but I have learned from the book I am reading that the closer we come to Christ, the more apparent our weakness are. I am thankful for my weakness and although they are at times hard and during the moment it is hard to overcome. The beauty of it all is that we can overcome it! Through our Saviors help, it is possible. "For when I am weak, therefore I am strong" (2 Cor 12:10) or something like that. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and to grow as I have on my mission and I know that I will only continue to grow.

We have a lot to be grateful for in this life and I encourage you to look for those blessings in your life no matter how great or small they may be. Heavenly Father is always blessing us and we have so much to be grateful for. Sometimes we lose sight of that and I know that as we recognize these blessings we will be so much more thankful for that which we have rather than that which we lack. I have realized this week that they Lord truly blesses us in so many ways and no matter how hard we try, we will never be able to give back for what we have received. The Lord blessings us 1000 times more. 

So let me tell you all about my English teaching! So far it has been great! I am so glad that I have sister nelson as my teaching companion. We are able to make class so much fun! So I teach at Orkon University and then Orkon Secondary School. I teach at the university on Tuesday and Friday from 12:00pm to 3:10 pm. I have two classes on this day and I am teaching students who are preparing to be English teachers themselves. They actually graduate this year. They still have trouble speaking English so it is good that we are able to help them as much as we can before they become English teachers themselves. They are preparing to teach English to people in Russia and Mongolia. On Friday we teach all the faculty members in the university who are interested in learning English so that has been interesting. They know pretty much no English so we have had to start with the very basics. We have a program called side by side and we use a powerpoint program that has been created for us to teach our lessons. It makes it a lot easier and doesn't require much preparation which is nice considering we have like no time to prepare a lesson. It has been great helping these students though. Most of them have a strong desire to learn the language and so it is such a wonderful experience being able to help them further their knowledge and improve their skills. The English language will change their life so I am happy to be apart of that. So many more opportunities will be available to them if they learn this language so i am happy to help. On Wednesday we teach at the secondary school for 8:00am until 2:00pm and we have class back to back so it’s pretty much 6 hours of teaching that day which is long but it’s not too bad. We have a variety of students that range from 9th grade to 12th grade. Our youngest students are 14 years old. Some of them can be a handful but we have learned how to deal with it and we make class fun and they respect us. Some of the other students also help keep them in line. It has been a great experience. Actually since I am certified it makes me want to travel somewhere else when i get home and teach English :)





Sister Nelson





We had our zone conference on Saturday which was really neat and afterwards. Sister Hill one of the senior missionaries invited us to her home and her husband and her made all the sisters dinner so I was able to talk to sis B then. She is doing great and we talked some. She truly is awesome and I am so glad she was my MTC companion. I do see my district fairly often so it has been nice. Elder Espinoza has been in Hong Kong the past couple of weeks. His visa didn't come through so they had to send him to Hong Kong for 2 weeks while they are working on getting him a visa through the church. Which is great news for him because through the church this means he won't have to teach English at all on his mission which will be cool. I am glad that out of all of us he has been given this opportunity. He is a great elder, he is from New Mexico. I learned a lot from him so it will be cool to hear about all his experiences. The rest of the district is doing well. We have all finally gotten over the adjusting period and are doing a lot better.

The weather isn't that bad, I mean it’s cold all the time but I am handling it really well. The coat and my scarf/ boots are keeping me warm. The orange scarf in the picture I bought and it is super warm. I am getting my jacket today and will send a picture of that next week. My boots have been good. The lowest it has gotten here is negative 20 degrees but the thing that is nice is that although it is cold it doesn't snow. There is snow on the ground but that happens at night, it never snows when we are walking around because it is just too cold for that but I have been fine. No complaints there, plus our apartment is really warm as well as our investigators home so while inside we are fine.

INVESTIGATOR TIME ;) so I absolutely love our investigators, they are awesome and are wanting to learn the gospel. It is so amazing. It has been fun teaching them. Right now we have 3 progressing investigators whom we are working with and have baptisms set for January! They are always so patient when I speak and they even help sometimes with the words and they try to understand me. They make me want to be better and they are what keep me going. I think about them and they keep my mind focused on what is really important. Last night we had a lesson with one of our investigators and we had it at a members home and while I was teaching this time I felt more confident. I spoke more than I usually do and really tried to say all that I could. Even if I didn't make 100 percent sense and they didn't understand me all the way. What was important is that I opened my mouth. I have been trying to be better this week and last night I really took a step forward by opening my mouth even though I was scared. I realized it doesn't matter if I can’t speak the language, I am trying and they see that, plus it is the spirit that speaks to them, not me and I know that unless I open my mouth I won’t get better. The members also helped me out because they understood what I was trying to say so they helped me explain it. It was a great experience and it helped me realize that I can do this. Little by little I will improve and I just need to have the patience to do so.



I hope that you have a great week! 

Love,

Sister Kerby






The closest thing that comes to Sushi! haha











No comments:

Post a Comment